How To Feel Revitalized During A Crazy Work Week
It’s only Wednesday and you can already feel your blood pressure rising and your stomach churning at the thought of having to spend two more days in the office. The weekend feels like it will never arrive and you’re pretty sure if things continue at the present pace you won’t survive to see it anyway. If you’ve had it up to your ears with stress, there are things you can do to recharge yourself even during the craziest workweek ever.
So, how can you gain a little semblance of normalcy during a week that’s completely out of control? These tips can help you relax, unwind and recharge your batteries:
- Prioritize your obligations – Create a “to do” list and rank items on it in order of priority. Focus in on the “must dos” and give yourself permission to let less pressing matters sit on the backburner for a time. Try to schedule out the priorities and do what you can to relieve yourself of obligations that just aren’t as important. Tackle your list one thing at a time and make the visible move to cross completed projects off the list. The sense of accomplishment can be a rush that revitalizes all on its own.
- Stretch – If you’ve been toiling away on the same project for hours on end, get up from your desk and stretch, walk around and breathe. Even a five-minute break can help you reduce stress levels and recharge you mind. If you can’t stretch or exercise at the office, close your eyes and take yourself on a “mental vacation” for a few minutes.
- De-stress your home life – If the pressures at work are high, make sure to reduce them at home. Your “castle” should be your sanctuary at the end of a long day. With this in mind, let your family know things are a little nutty at the moment. Ask them to help with chores, making dinner and so on. Even if they can collectively only take one thing off your plate, the help will be felt. Plus, it doesn’t hurt to have their understanding when things are insane in the office.
- Reward yourself each night – Once you make it through a crazy day, take a few minutes to do something for yourself. Even if you just spend a few minutes meditating, choose to take a long, hot bath or spend a half-hour reading a book to your child, give yourself something to look forward to once the day’s to-do list is tackled.
- Try to get some sleep – Don’t skimp on sleep during stressful weeks. If you do, the next day’s stressors will likely seem even more insurmountable. Trying to work in a full eight hours every night is important, but it can be even more so during really crazy times.
When things at work are out of control, there are steps you can take to reduce the stress and revitalize your mind and body. Even a few simple measures can help you recharge to deal with whatever is thrown your way.